LATINA stands for Learning and teaching in a digital world.
Our goal is to provide teachers, students and professional people with the technical, social and conceptual tools they need to operate successfully in a web-based world.
We conduct most of our training in the LATINA Lab, which is a dedicated seminar room equipped with a digital whiteboard (Smartboard) and portable computers for all participants. We also have low-cost facilities for video conferencing and on-line teaching (synchronous and asynchronous).
In organizational terms LATINA is a separate section within the Library and Learning Centre of the college. Professor Helge Høivik is the LATINA director. Lars Egeland, who heads the Centre, is his deputy. Associate professor Tord Høivik is associated with the Lab as an instructor and senior consultant. Senior technician Aslak Ormestad teaches photography (still and video) and manages much of our digital equipment.
LATINA was established in 2008.
Its first training event was a three week summer course at the new Summer School started by the college in 2008. Later events include:
- LATINA Spring 2009. A one term course for exchange students at Oslo University College
- LATINA Summer 2009. Three week course in Oslo.
- Museum Informatics. A one term course for Norwegian museum pedagogues in the autumn 2009.
- NORDINFOLIT 2010. A one week course for Nordic librarians in Korpo, inland. See Lessons from Korpo.
- LATINA Summer 2010. Three week course in Oslo.
- LATINA Fall 2011. A training course for university teachers in Palestine with sessions in Gaza, Ramallah and Oslo. See Learning and teaching in a digital world – Gaza
- LATINA Winter 2011. A one week course for university teachers in Haikou, China.
- LATINA in Africa 2012. A two week training for librarians and teachers in Kampala, Uganda. See LATINA in Africa.
- LATINA Summer 2012. Three week course in Oslo.
The Lab is also a practice arena for university college lecturers and for librarians who are following the 1bib post-graduate qualification programme.
- LATINA Sites. Project home page with links to all web resources
- Dell’Arte. Bilingual home page for Helge Høivik.
- Plinius Home. Bilingual home page with links to all web resources.
- LATINA in English. Blog posts by Tord Høivik
- LATINA på norsk. Blog posts in Norwegian
Updated Oct. 7, 2011 by TH