Today, many Indigenous Australians live in isolated, extremely poor communities. Substandard housing, high unemployment, and low levels of literacy and school attendance severely undermine health, well-being, and cultural continuity.
Not surprisingly in these conditions, the beliefs and traditions of Indigenous Australians—expressed in hundreds of languages and dialects—are now disappearing.
But the Northern Territory Library (NTL), which covers a network of 33 public libraries, is working hard to change that.
More about the story on The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation website.
Resources IFLA 2007
- PL 34/07. Nordic papers at IFLA 2007
- PL 33/07. Fun at the music store
- PL 32/07. Continuing with Claudia
- PL 31/07. Delegates in Durban
- PL 30/07. Faces from IFLA
- PL 29B/07. Grand opening in Durban